The next Young Mayor election will be taking place in Spring 2020.
How to become a candidate
To be able to stand as a candidate for Young Mayor of Croydon you must:
• be aged 12 to 17 on 31 August 2020
• live in Croydon.
The deadline for submitting nominations is Saturday 29 February 2020.
All candidates standing for election are invited to take part in a training programme to provide them with the skills that will support their election campaign.
About the elections
To be able to vote in the Young Mayor of Croydon elections you must:
• live in or go to school in Croydon; and
• be between the ages of 11 and 18 on polling day.
Register to vote
You do not need to register to vote with either your school or the council.
How does a candidate win the election?
The election of the Croydon Young Mayor will be run under a ‘Supplementary’ voting system. This means that:
1. All the first choice votes are counted and the top two candidates go forward to a second stage.
2. Any second choice votes cast for the top two candidates are then counted and added to their first choice votes.
3. The candidate with the highest number of first and second choice votes will be elected Croydon Young Mayor.
4. The candidate with the second highest number will become the Deputy Young Mayor.